Monday, December 14, 2015

Dear Bora,
One thing I didn't realize before becoming a parent was that I would have to make black-and-white choice about Santa.  I figured I could just not do Santa- just omit that part of Christmas.  No.  Every single adult we see asks her if she's excited about Santa coming.   I'm forced to either play along with the milk and cookies, Elf on the Shelf, letters to the North Pole, etc OR I have to tell my 3 year old that Santa is a big, fat lie.   I thought I could get around it by telling K that it's a costume and people like to dress up and pretend to be Santa.  That lead to her running up to a Santa and yelling, "Happy Halloween!" (because he was wearing a costume and you wear costumes on Halloween, obviously).  It also lead to her shouting to the check-out clerk at Kroger, "Santa's not real!  He's just pretend!" when she asked K what Santa's going to bring her for Christmas.  It's not even that I hate the tradition of Santa or that I'm a scrooge, I just didn't want to lie to my kid.  I wanted to be able to focus on the real meaning of Christmas.  Plus, I didn't want to get sucked into sprinkling "reindeer food" in the lawn or watching Santa-tracker on the local news.  At least I didn't take the route a friend of mine tried with her 2 small boys.  She taught them about the history of the man Saint Nicholas, which lead to their announcement at daycare that, "Santa is dead!"  Happy holidays, indeed.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas,
Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment