Dear Kate,
We had our family Christmas last night and C got a junior-size djembe (a type of African hand drum). Now, I know that some parents will balk at the idea of getting a 2.5-year old a drum but I was willing to take the risk of a headache in order to avoid having a child with my sense of rhythm (i.e. no sense at all - our brothers must have gotten all of my musical ability).
I truly believed that I had thought this through! I had considered how loud the drum could potentially be and how I would handle irritating non-rhythmic drumming situations. I had considered that drumsticks could be used as weapons (hence the hand drum). I had considered where it would be stored so that it wouldn't be broken between drum sessions. I had thought of all of these things. I had planned for these things.
I had not, however, considered that my dogs would view the goat skin drum head as a raw hide treat. While the drum is safe for now, I see a ruined drum and a guilty dog in our future.
Love,
Bora
P.S. I was glowing with pride yesterday after you conceded my win. Even my husband was tempted to say, "Oh shut up" for no reason at all.
We had our family Christmas last night and C got a junior-size djembe (a type of African hand drum). Now, I know that some parents will balk at the idea of getting a 2.5-year old a drum but I was willing to take the risk of a headache in order to avoid having a child with my sense of rhythm (i.e. no sense at all - our brothers must have gotten all of my musical ability).
I truly believed that I had thought this through! I had considered how loud the drum could potentially be and how I would handle irritating non-rhythmic drumming situations. I had considered that drumsticks could be used as weapons (hence the hand drum). I had considered where it would be stored so that it wouldn't be broken between drum sessions. I had thought of all of these things. I had planned for these things.
I had not, however, considered that my dogs would view the goat skin drum head as a raw hide treat. While the drum is safe for now, I see a ruined drum and a guilty dog in our future.
Love,
Bora
P.S. I was glowing with pride yesterday after you conceded my win. Even my husband was tempted to say, "Oh shut up" for no reason at all.
Comments
Post a Comment